Friday, July 2, 2010

Fourth of July and Patriotism

" We can't all be Washingtons, but we can all be patriots."
- Charles F. Browne

Why is it that every time the Fourth of July comes around, every starts getting in the mood to be all American and support the troops and what not?! I am not saying I am the greatest citizen, ever been in the armed forces, or anything like that. I just think it is funny that you start seeing people putting out American flags in their yards, sticking yellow ribbons on their cars, and wearing their American flag tee shirts. It cracks me up!

To be honest I think we all should be more patriotic all year. The term patriot refers to someone who unselfishly promotes the well-being of his/her country. We live the greatest country in the world and I think we should be more supportive. Of course there are always going to be the people out there who are going to think that somewhere else is better, and they can think whatever, but the fact of the matter is that we have our freedoms and no one can take that away. That is the main reason for the best country statement earlier.

There are several ways to be more patriotic, for example:
1. Buy an American flag
2. Read about American history
3. Support you troops
4. Register to vote
5. Volunteer for a political party

Those are simple easy things to do to get started down the path to being a better patriot and citizen. Go out and do something to better yourself and the country we live in, people have died to help make this such a great place to live, I don't think they are asking much.

www.quotegarden.com/patriotic-usa.html

http://hnn.us/articles/400.html

www.mccsc.edu/~mdavis/mlk/2006/Adrian/Citizen.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment