Friday, June 18, 2010

World Cup

I am so excited for the world cup to be here!!! This is one of the greatest times that only comes around every four years and is one of the biggest sporting events worldwide! The World Cup is comprised of 32 teams competing for the ultimate trophy and to state their claim as the number one soccer (futbol) team in the world! (http://www.fifa.com)

The United States qualifued for this tournament as it has the last six tournaments in a row. (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/team/history/_/id/660/united-states?&cc=5901&ver=us) The US team is nothing compared to some of the monsters out there such as Brazil, Italy, or France, but their tough and have a good fight in them until the end of each match.

So far in this tournament they have tied twice, once against England and once against Slovenia, today. They are technically still in the contest to see if they can move on to the second round, which is single elimination, although it is going to be a tough road ahead. Their next opponent is Algeria.

There are a few problems I have with the World Cup this year. The referees are really making some terrible calls! Today for example, the US team would have won, but the main referee called an offside penalty against the US team when it clearly was not and we had a goal taken away from us! The video is at the link here... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGc6Kld7nzc)

The rules is as followed, when the player kicks or passes the ball, the offensive player it is intended for must be even woth the last denfender on the opposing team. In this instance, he absolutely was ONSIDE!!!!!!!

On the other side I can understand that the referee has a very stressful job and gets calls wrong every once in a while. This one however, should have been an easy call and not missed. Especially on a stage this large and in a worldwide competition!

ZO

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you are enjoying the World Cup!! My husband and I have been following it too. I am for Spain though. My favorite player is from Spain (Fernando Torres) but plays for Liverpool. I agree with you that the Refs are being absurd! Especially with the offside call on the U.S. team. We have tickets to see Manchester United vs. The KC Wizards next month! Should be a great game, for Man U anyway!

    Needless to say, I was very excited to read your blog!

    Carey Tignor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really understood how big soccer was until I went out of the country, I spent some time in Central America and every village has a soccer field that everyone plays on. I think it is one of the few sports that can be popular on a global scale and everyone can appreciate.

    ReplyDelete